28 March 2010

Good Things on a Sunday

french

- A day-making comment, here (thank you): ‘I went and saw the SLIM exhibit just last week. Despite reading your blog and being ready for something special, I was still awe struck. I am Filipino, and SLIM does make me proud to be one. I will never forget that surge of pride and amazement when I walked into the exhibit hall.’

- Only now swimming through the archives of Maira Kalman’s illustrated blog And the Pursuit of Happiness.

less3

Leanne Shapton, here: ‘These days when I wake, inexplicably, between 4 and 5, which is most mornings, I read, I worry, but if that does not work, I bake. The kitchen is a changed place in the wee hours, its clicks and hummings are louder, the pots and pans make a deafening clatter when I pull them out of the cupboard. But, as before, I am relaxed, my sense of smell is sharper. As I measure and weigh, I am more patient than during waking hours. I’ve always turned to flour and butter when I can’t sleep.’

Finished reading Plenty, an honest and moving account of one year on the 100-mile diet. Anyone from B.C. will enjoy this book, which is full of love for our ‘fast and cold and steep and rocky and utterly grand’ province: ‘By the time we were halfway home, I realized I was grinning. How often does that happen in modern city life? Yet all it took was this: it was Saturday morning and I had a pack full of fresh vegetables, and I was on a bicycle, and I had winked at an eagle.’

middle

And how about just two or three more interior pictures? They’ve been patiently waiting in forgotten folders.

french2

f

w3

1. Photographed by Jonny Valiant, produced by Judith Cook for Vogue Living Australia April/May 2001 2. A family home made from 3 artists’ studios by Powell-Tuck Associates, photographed by Tim Clinch for Vogue Living Australia April/May 2001. 3. House of freelance art director Ed de Boer and interior designer Sjoukje de Vries in northern Friesland, photographed by Peter Shut/taverne, styled by Reny Van der Kamp for Vogue Living April/May 2002 4. Photographed by Renzo Chiesa for Homes and Gardens UK, July 2006